Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Ken's Family Program, Elk vs Moose



On the day my doctor finally released me to go back to the park, I did a few errands along the way. I drove the West Yell, Madison, Old Faithful, Grand/West Thumb way rather than my usual West Yell, Madison, Norris, Canyon way. So I arrived at the amphitheater just as TR was beginning what's known as "The Family Program." It starts at 6:30 p.m. in case the kiddos can't stay up for the evening program which starts at 9:30 p.m.

Let's be honest, we're all little kids at heart and it's the adults who end up rushing the stage to get their hands on the elk and moose antlers. Eventually, the kids get a chance to hold them too. K does such a great job with his programs. And he clears up a lot of misconceptions about these animals...no, deer do NOT turn into elk at a certain elevation, they are actually two different species, belonging to the same species.

I helped him carry the antlers back to his park service vehicle. Then I went home to unload my car. As usual, I hauled a lot of fresh produce into the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment