Monday, July 16, 2012

BYGTWSO!-Day 27


The above photo was taken from a trail in American Fork Canyon this beautiful morning. We hiked from the Pine Hollow trailhead to the Salamander Flat "meadow" and then headed up toward the Ridge Trail. It was two glorious miles up with just us, the wildflowers, the butterflies, and a few squirrels standing at their posts along the way, sounding the warning cry that humans were encroaching upon their territory. And then we turned around. We've hiked this/these trail(s) many times in all seasons, and we just can't get enough. Sometimes we hiked quietly, sometimes we chatted about this and that. K said, "Thanks for coming on a hike with me this morning, Sweetie." I answered, "Thanks for inviting me!" It was the best.

Prior to hiking, I made an early morning venture to Wal-mart to procure school supplies for my next bunch of fifth graders. Sure, the notebooks are dirt cheap, but it takes time to sort through the boxes and get enough of each COLOR you want. A clerk came by to see if I needed any help and I said, "I've got it under control and I promise to put everything back nicely." Which I did. I wonder if the people watching the security cameras ever get a kick out of me. The cashier lady wondered if kids were obligated to bring their own stuff. Well...that would be nice, wouldn't it? I mean you can ask people to bring everything on your little list, but you won't get it all. I explained that I want the children in my class to feel like they have equal access. One student might show up with three crisp notebooks and another student may not even have the courage to ask their parents for a toothbrush, let alone school supplies. So, I just do what I do. K is starting to get used to this annual event. He doesn't protest as loudly as he once did. As I was pushing my cart away from the checkstand, another employee, Connie, stopped me and said, "Let me guess! You're a school teacher!" She proceeded to hug me and say, "Thanks for all you do!"

After we returned from hiking, we had a simple lunch. K asked me to cut his hair. I cannot take any responsibility for the result as I've had zero training. I just do what the man asks. We worked on a few household chores/tasks (family history, thank you notes, putting away camping equipment) and then headed to school to drop off all that shopping I did. K was nice enough to make and print labels for me--so glad!

Back at home, we had potato bar for dinner with the left over baked potatoes from yesterday's meal. Hit the spot. And then we cleaned the kitchen, studied a certain topic in the scriptures for FHE, and now I'm "posting" as he calls it. The days are just flying by!


Yeah, who cares about unemployment? We're making the most of our time together after that four year tour of duty. Every day is a holiday with K, and every meal a banquet!

1 comment: