Sunday, July 22, 2012

All You Can Eat

Yesterday was Saturday. We had a wonderful day. It started out with a community rummage sale. I didn't do one thing to help organize it. These ladies in the neighborhood took care of obtaining permission, posting signs, and all the rest. It was the Third Annual for our little community. I had never even been. However, I've been purging books and dusting shelves and organizing things over the past couple of days. We had quite the pile to donate to DI (which we do regularly). We never ask for "charitable contribution" receipts when donating to DI. We never sell anything online. We have thought about putting things on the sidewalk with a sign that says "Free to a Good Home" but those were idle threats. We did give away our Love Sac via Facebook posting, but we made them come and get it. So, I got this wild hair and said, "Why not? Let's give it a whirl!" My mother, the queen business woman of North America who could sell snow to native Alaskans, or what have you, would be so proud. I have a little of her in me and managed to convince people to pay me actual money for the privilege of hauling away all of our old stuff. It's pretty hilarious, actually. A few dollars richer is a lovely way to start the day.

After the sale, we headed off to a bakery called Kneaders. We've been there before and my favorite-ist thing from that bakery is...are you ready...their Large Green Avocado Salad, or whatever they call it. That salad is the BEST! LOVE IT SO MUCH! However, for years now folks, literally years, I've been hearing about their amazing French toast. The ladies in the faculty room keep mentioning it. I was so doubtful. How could French toast be that great, you know? I mean, it's bread, egg and milk, and syrup, right? I asked many questions about it and people couldn't adequately describe it, they would just end up urging me to try it. Now I know.

I will merely attempt to describe it for you, but knowing already that I will fail, I strongly encourage you to go eat for yourself. They start with some kind of cinnamon swirl bread. It's thick and soft, but hardy enough to withstand being soaked and cooked. What do they soak it in? I have no idea. However, I've heard it's rich stuff which may or may not include cream and egg. And what goes on it? The plate comes with two big pieces of French toast along with a little cup of syrup and another cup of strawberries and whipped cream. I initially thought I would favor the strawberries, but no, the syrup captured my heart. I obviously don't know what's in the syrup either, but it's not your plain Jane fake-o maple syrup. I believe it just might be caramel infused! If I ever go again, I think I'll ask for no strawberries and get two syrups instead. The strawberries and whipped cream were just fine, but paled in comparison to the syrup. And Emily was absolutely right--they call it "all-you-can-eat" but you simply can't get past those two pieces.

Back at home, I bathed, because that hadn't happened thus far in the day. Then I promptly crashed for a two hour nap. K just laughs when I crash because he never naps. He has seen me reach my limit many times and after I sleep, the whole world is better. I'm good to go. My mom always says I will never get an ulcer. When things get tough, I sleep and then I wake up and handle them. I don't really know why I was so tired yesterday.

The Mister and I chipped away at a few household tasks and then got this splendid idea that we should head off to another all-you-can-eat place. Don't worry, we don't do this all the time. We skipped lunch and waited long into the afternoon before heading to Tucano's, a Brazilian grill. Their salad bar is phenomenal and this time they had sushi! I will freely admit I had five pieces of sushi. It was, in a word, good. After Tucano's, we meandered all over Costco, walking up and down aisles whether we needed to or not, because we really needed to move our bodies and walk! From there, we headed to our local grocer to grab things packaged on a smaller scale. Luckily, they had several more aisles for walking. We fueled the vehicle. We hauled things up and down the stairs. We unloaded and put away. We settled our finances on Quicken. And then we went to the pool. NO ONE WAS THERE! On a beautiful Saturday night, we had the pool all to ourselves. I opened a few cards and a couple of presents. Happy Birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment