Sunday, July 8, 2012

BYGTWSO!-Day 17


These are my Hutterite pals, Dan (or could it be Dave/David? I'm sure he said Dan...) Wipf and Jacob Wurtz. I first met Jacob about ten years ago. He and my mom know each other much better from when my mom had The Store--she gave Jacob free coffee and his face still lights up about it when we visit. Hutterites don't normally like to have their pictures taken (no graven images), but Jacob let me take some of him and his grandchildren ten years ago and had no problem letting me snap this one this time. I took K to the colony to buy vegetables and to have a new cultural experience. Dan came out to chit-chat with us and when I mentioned my mom, he said, "I know Gwen's daughter, Sandy, in Boulder." I said, "Yes, that's my sister!" For ten dollars, we bought: potatoes, lettuce, sugar snap peas, strawberries, and bread. They have the most beautiful garden. Last time I visited, Jacob gave me a tour around the colony and even sang in German in the chapel. This time, as we got into our vehicle to leave, he came to the driver's side smiling and said, "If I had time, I'd jump into your backseat and sing to you all the way to Glacier Park!" And then he sang a little song in English, about eight lines, with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye. As we drove off the colony, K said, "It's amazing what a free cup of coffee and get you years later."


The Big Sky. We went to Bynum Reservoir and checked out the museum in Choteau. Ken was amazed that Brenda honked at us in town and rolled down her window to chat at the stop sign ("I thought that was you guys!"). We also stopped at the Forest Service in Choteau (he bought another map) and chatted with Nancy Denning who recognized me before I recognized her. K couldn't get over how we kept running in to all these people I know at various locations in various situations. That's small town Montana for ya!

Lewis and Clark Days was going on in Great Falls, but we just didn't have the time. We did check out Rainbow Falls on the Missouri, though. Also, I captured a photo of Leo, mom's significant other (Saint Leo) since 1983, installing the air conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment