Wednesday, June 19, 2013

YELL Day 4



Friday 14 June 2013...

This morning I went over to the office to speak with K's supervisor about volunteering. We had a nice chat and she told me I am easy to talk to. I explained that I've been happy reading books ("Do you know about the Bookmobile?" she asked. And, "There's a library in the mess hall!") and taking naps, but that I'm willing to help out if needed. She gave me some paperwork to complete.

Afterward, I walked along Fishing Bridge because Ranger Harlan said there was "a moose in the marshy marsh!" It was long gone by the time I arrived and all of the humans had left as well, so I took full advantage! Those are white caps out on the lake. With the naked eye, they looked like sailing ships. I kept telling myself, "There are no sailing ships. Those are white caps!" The WIND! I was bundled up with jacket, wind breaker over that, hood, and gloves!

K cannot believe how many people come to the park with no plan. Well, he's always been a planner. Part of the joy for him is ordering maps, studying maps, researching online, etc. Preparation is half the trip! But now he's seeing just how many folks choose to wing it! Multiple times daily people ask, "Ranger, what should I do?" He is such a patient, tolerant, and kind soul...perfect for the job if you ask me. I helped him open the VC one morning (got to call for the Geyser Report!) and one of the duties is to post all the times that each campground filled the day before (to the minute!). Some guy came in and complained there were no campsites available. No, he did not try to reserve one. The visitor said they "got screwed over in Yosemite as well." It's a popular place, so plan ahead! Some of those campgrounds have 400 sites and they fill right up!

1 comment:

  1. It always baffled me when people would come up to me at the desk and say, "So what is there to do here?" So many people with no plans. I couldn't believe it! They don't realize that there is SO much to do and the park is so huge that there's no way they can do everything in the time they have. Yep, should have planned.

    ReplyDelete