Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Backyard Bison



So, today is NOT a summer vacation day. It's just another Saturday (06/15/2013)like we have all throughout the school year. However, today was a day when I learned my lesson! I went to K's "Experiencing Wildlife Safely" program and then returned home and went around the corner out back only to see a bison grazing in the yard! I did have my bear spray handy, but what if it had been standing a little closer? What if it had been a grizzly? Stupid, stupid!

So of course I spent a good share of the morning watching this one bison. It decided to have a rest and chew its cud which I learned this afternoon at Tennessee Tom's program is what they do: nomadically graze, rest and chew cud, repeat forever. My favorite part was watching it scratch at the stump and roots end of that fallen tree. You should have seen that creature happily beating it's head against the end which caused dust to fly everywhere. Bang, Bang, BANG! It was just enjoying the heck out of banging its head against the tree.

When K came home for lunch, the bison was in the side yard, so I opened the front door before he had a chance to come down the steps and asked, "Do you see a bison?" K sort of startled and decided he could come down the steps anyway.

K took me to Lake Lodge Cafeteria for dinner. I had the petite turkey plate and loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment