Wednesday, June 19, 2013

YELL Day 2



Today is Wednesday 12 June 2013. Totally slept in! It's been rainy and gloomy. They weren't kidding when they suggested we get our cooking and baking (and anything else requiring electricity) done in the mornings. We had no power for most of the afternoon. Which is fine. We're just not used to it. No lives are in danger. There are several rangers who enjoy kayaking. I enjoy the color on the back porch. We also have various animals in the back yard--nice little elk herd hanging out.

K says the Bookmobile is coming tomorrow! Sounds like the rangers order books they need for research (prepare for programs) and the Bookmobile comes around every two weeks. After dinner, we walked over to the mess hall and looked at the little library in there.

K also told me there are about ten bears that hang out in this area. If you'll remember a previous post, we never, Never, NEVER name the wildlife, but I guess there's one bear that a ranger calls "Special Needs Bear." This bear has super long legs and looks a little out of sorts. Please don't criticize me about this...just sharing some comments I've heard. Another ranger refers to one of the bears as "Meadow Bear." One of the bear management folks said, "A bear is basically a nose with four legs." All they really care about is food.

Another thing I hear the rangers talk about is "getting off the island." This means that folks need to leave the park sometimes on their weekends to get back to various things a town might have to offer, such as reliable electricity. In Hawai'i we called it "going off island" and in Alaska they talk about "going outside."

K seems worried that I'm bored. Not yet I'm not. I'm enjoying the down time, the reading time, the nap time, and the do-what-I-want-time. Bored? In a place like this? I'll let you know if and when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment