Tuesday, July 16, 2013

YELL Day 24



Monday 07/15/2013

So last night, as we were getting ready to crawl into our tent, K said something funny (to me, perhaps you have to know us better or you had to be there). You see, I almost always crawl in first while he takes out his contacts in the car. I always sleep next to the tent door, so he always has to crawl over me (I don't mind). However, he happened to be all ready for bed, so he headed for the tent and so did I. He was a bit ahead and called back, "Sweetie, I'm going to crawl in first if that's okay. Just look at the moon for a couple of minutes." So I dutifully and promptly sat down on the picnic table holding my pillow, my Kindle, and my head lamp...looking at the moon. And then I started to laugh because he probably sounds like he's talking to a three year old, but his comment was just perfect for me. He knows I love the moon and the night sky and that it would keep me more than occupied until he could settle himself.

So then I got into the tent. I asked, "Did you bring bear spray?" He said, "No." I pushed, "So you're not prepared to protect us in case of attack? How many times have you given the wildlife safety message? Do you even care about my safety?" He answered, "It will be okay." And then I was able to drop my punch line, "Well, it's a good thing I brought MY bear spray!"

This morning (did I mention I'm a morning person?) I was trying to get breakfast going and K was trying to roll up his sleeping bag, etc., so I was kind of in his way at the picnic table. He's never too excited about eating breakfast, whereas, I'm perpetually starving. So, in a nice way, he asked if he could take care of his duties before I proceeded in the kitchen. He suggested, "Just listen to the birds chirp for a minute." We both laughed our heads off!

We hiked between String Lake and Leigh Lake. Lots of people were having fun with canoes. There's a short portage between the lakes due to the boulders. Then we took a boat ride on Jenny Lake. We walked up to Hidden Falls--it was lovely in the late afternoon sunlight. All good weekends must come to an end...

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud at your stories in this post. Also, I want to hear more about breakfast. What did you have to eat? :)

    ReplyDelete