Tuesday, July 16, 2013

YELL Day 17



Wednesday 07/03/2013

Today I went on K's walk at Mud Volcano. No, I don't go to all of his programs, walks, and talks, but Mud Volcano is a great way for me to get out, get moving, and be relatively safe with all the other people (rather than hiking alone with my can of bear spray).

There were four bison hanging out and chewing their cuds (cud? cuds?). The visitors kept asking K, "Why do they like it here?" K gave the best answer, "I don't know." He also suggested that they seem to like the heat. So the visitors asked, WHY??? Because you know, it's July, and it's plenty hot outside, and still, the bison just seem to be enjoying the heck out of these steamy, close-to-magma, volcanic areas. In fact, they could not be more content.

After the program ended, I gave the ranger my own idea about why the bison love it so: "Back in January, I just kept telling myself I was going to thaw out in July and that's exactly what I'm doing--thawing out!"

I love anthropomorphizing (or whatever it's called when I talk for the animals)!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize they were drawn to these areas and enjoyed them so much. I learned something! And I like your theory - it's probably spot on!

    ReplyDelete