Tuesday, July 16, 2013

YELL Day 21



Oh how I love Orange! I love the Earth and the colors designed by Mother Nature. I have begun taking "excursions" while K is working. I still don't dare hike more than a mile or so by myself (besides, it's exhausting being even more situationally aware when hiking alone and expending all that energy clapping hands and calling out various phrases...I mean, I just need to breathe while I hike...clapping, talking, etc. takes a bit of the pleasure out of it), but there are plenty of "front country" things to see and do in the park, so I've set up some field trips for myself. Things are definitely more fun with K along, but my time is short in the park and I must go and do and see. John Muir said, "The mountains are calling and I must go!" I keep telling myself, "I must GO!" I had a lovely day viewing more thermal features (Grand Prismatic Spring, etc.) and water falls and other such treats. K is more than jealous, but that's not going to hold me back. On the way back to Lake from Canyon, I got stuck in a classic bison jam. Do you see that bison up on the hillside on the right? Yep, one bison. There are 3,999 more, People. Promise! You WILL see another one!

5 comments:

  1. Good for you! You are making the most of your stay. I loved the John Muir quote - perfect sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious...why do you need to clap and call out various phrases while hiking alone? Is it to make the animals aware of your presence? I would have never thought to do that. I also love the John Muir quote. Your pictures are making me miss the west terribly! You are probably wondering who I am at this point. I'm one of Amy's friends. We met and I sat by you in RS when you were visiting Amy in Iowa. So glad she posted a link to your blog. I love sharing in your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I totally remember you! Here's the thing: you never, Never, NEVER want to surprise a bear! Especially a grizzly. So, you really have to make a TON of noise (we live next to a ranger on the bear management team) as you go along so the bear has an out. If they can hide, they feel good about having the upper edge. If you surprise the bear, it's like the bear has no choice but to attack. It's just the way they work. Sometimes they'll stand on their hind legs and sniff and huff, and sometimes they'll do a bluff charge, but if they're upset...well then you better have that bear spray ready! As my husband says in his wildlife safety message, "If you don't have bear spray, lie on the ground face down with your hands over your neck and go to your happy place."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should add, you only lie down if they come to attack (don't lie down like a wimp too early). If they roll you over, roll all the way over so you're face down again. Try to be still so they know you're not a threat. Play dead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the info. I had no idea. At least now when I go tromping through a wildlife area, I know better how to protect myself. Hopefully, I never encounter a bear. That is one of my biggest fears!

    ReplyDelete