Sunday, April 7, 2013

John Muir National Historic Site and Muir Woods National Monument



Don't be deceived...these two parks are quite a distance away from each other. However, we just had to go back to both of them. John Muir is one of my favorites. I've read some of his writings, but not nearly enough. I loved touring his home and seeing his Scribble Room. I hope to have a Scribble Room of my own someday. For now, it's a corner of our dining room.

It is soothing to walk around his property amongst the vineyards and orchards. And yet, according to his wife, this wasn't quite good enough. If he spent too much time here, he would get what she coined "low altitude sickness" and he would have to pack up to sleep on a glacier in Yosemite in order to be restored to full health.

Which reminds me...some of my fifth graders have recently been confused by the name Yosemite. Instead, they've been saying Gethsemane, which makes me chuckle every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment