Saturday, May 10, 2014

Was Not Meant for the Cave Today...



Today is Opening Day at the cave and I am missing it. I was dressed by 6:15 a.m. I have attended 9 hours of seasonal and volunteer training. I have my volunteer uniform, name badge, and ball cap. I have water! However, the Day had other plans for me.

My husband was headed to work early this morning and could not leave. Our front door would not unlock. The deadbolt wouldn't turn. He finally used his multi-tool to escape, leaving me feeling less than secure. No one wants to come running to fix your lock at 6:15 a.m.

Anticipating a repair person coming to our home, I began to tidy up. I was saving Saturday housework for later, but alas, it got done early today. After chores, I decided to go ahead and bathe. Like housework, I was saving my shower for later-- after a perspiration-inducing hike, but decided I would need to stick around home for the repair. I pulled the knob on the drain to let the water out and...oops! It broke off in my hand! Another repair! And a full tub of bath water with no way to drain. Great.

And then there was one more unexpected turn of events. My husband was supposed to be home at 5:00 p.m. He called at 10:00 a.m. to let me know that work was super slow today and they were sending him home early! In my continual attempts to keep my chin up and see the glass half-full, I thought, "WONDERFUL! More time with K!!! We can either team up to accomplish lots of stuff or we can run away together and play the day away!"

As I type, he is napping. Poor guy. He's been working two jobs and putting in some long days. He mumbled something about catching a few z's "so I can function. I don't want to sleep the whole day away so we can go do something."

Nope. I'm not gonna make it to the cave today. It just wasn't meant to be. However, I got to have lunch (soup and grilled cheese) with my favorite person today, our home is now in good repair and secure, everything has been tidied up, and all is peaceful in my world.

Other miracles are taking place all around. Once again, Robina is sitting on eggs. Two today...three tomorrow? She is filling the measure of her creation right on cue with Mother's Day. A rental bird in a rented tree, but I can't get over the wonder of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment