Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Pea Ridge National Military Park



Pea Ridge is the battle that saved Missouri for the Union. We had a lovely time walking around and driving around in the beautiful fall weather learning about this segment of the Civil War. I have never been to a battlefield where the signs read, "The weather was perfect, everyone fought under great conditions!" No...all the battles happened either in freezing temperatures or searing heat. I will never know anything about these battles because I haven't had to enlist. I keep trying to read and comprehend and visit these places, but thanks to so many who have sacrificed, I have an easy, cushy life full of opportunity and freedom.

Also, I love being able to tell my students I've stood on a segment of the Trail of Tears. My heart strings are always tugged by that story and the Native Americans who were made to suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment