Wednesday, December 17, 2014

My Students are So Cute These Days!

I have found myself a tad bit weepy here and there over the last couple of days. It's usually when we're practicing for the Christmas Program. They are so darn cute. They sing with smiles and gusto! They execute the actions with personality. They are cheerful. I've been getting little presents on my desk daily for over a week now and each one thrills me. My fifth graders are the cutest! I love them so much. They are being good--well behaved, especially considering the excitement of Christmas, the Maturation Program, and the impending Winter Vacation! The diligent ones steal my heart. I have extra patience for the struggling ones. It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Unless your dog dies overnight. One of my boys accidentally got ink on another boy's shirt today and felt horrible about it. He went to his desk and put his head down. I had hardly said a word about it hoping laundry detergent would resolve the issue so I called him over to make sure he knew I wasn't being harsh with him. That's when he blurted out that his dog had passed away overnight. Then he sobbed. She was dead when they woke up this morning. She was thirteen, "Older than I am." What a heartbreaking loss. Those tears showed up in my eyes once again. I just told him that I didn't know what to say other than it truly is a huge loss and that I am so sorry.

He got checked out after lunch to bury her.

No comments:

Post a Comment