Monday, June 4, 2012

The Pool at Night

I found the little "less than" and "greater than" symbols on the keyboard, Rach! I'll keep trying that tip!
I couldn't go to the pool this morning because I had a professional development training with the district and met my carpool at 7:40 a.m. So, I tried going to the pool at night. Oh my.
Every rule ever posted was broken: non-residents were coming by the droves, people were drinking, and diving (it's only 5 feet), children under 14 were there without any supervision, etc. One good point is that clothing stayed on. It wasn't that bad, you know, in terms of behavior, but bad enough that I took notice. In other words, nobody died.
Some of those "young people" were very friendly toward me. Nineteen year olds. They asked my name, introduced themselves, chatted about their jobs and their pursuits in higher education. And then they went back to making out in the pool.
Incidentally, yesterday afternoon I was walking past the volleyball court and these five "young people", four men and one lady, engaged me in conversation. Picture this! I was in my church clothes and they were all in shorts, etc. They had long hair and guages in their ears (guages, right?), and they had a big 24 pack of Coors. One fellow chatted me up as I passed by the picnic table, "Wanna play volleyball with us? We need one more player." Honestly, he sounded like a fifth grader on the playground. So I stopped. And chatted back. I assured them that they probably didn't really want me to play with them. I also told them that there seemed to be a group of people that play every Sunday at 4:00 p.m. but that I didn't know their names or who to contact (that group invited me to play also...such friendly folks around here!). The dude seemed to take all this in and then asked, "What time is it?" As if that were going to solve all his troubles. One of his buddies answered, "Time to drink beer."
Back to the pool...as things escalated this evening, I started to really take note of my surroundings. I noticed exactly where the life saving "donut" was hanging on the fence. I wondered if someone hit their head while flipping off the top of the bars which are meant for grasping as you climb the steps out of the deep end and became unconscious, IF it would be a good idea to put a piece of pool furniture under them in the water (lay it down flat, use it like a backboard). Anyone have any input on that? The drunk guy had four friends with him, so I'm pretty sure they may have kept him from drowning after he passed out, but I was wondering if there was a first aid kit around with latex gloves for the blood that was surely going to spill. Note to self--check the restroom for a first aid kit (and start packing one down there whenever I go).
Anyway, Jose finally showed up and kicked everyone out. I felt bad for the 10, 12, and 13 year old boys in the hot tub who kept getting asked by the 15, 16, and 19 year old girls how many girls they've kissed and if they are virgins. Ridiculous. I also felt bad for the little guy who kept jumping into the water repeatedly while his dad sat off in a corner and talked on his cell. the whole time. Way to spend quality time with your son. He never got in once to swim with his boy. All those youth in the hot tub need more structure with their time. Too bad the big kids can't think of anything better to do than throw the little kids into the pool after asking them about inappropriate things of a highly personal nature. Don't suppose I could entice them to a game of Aggravation or Phase 10...

2 comments:

  1. This is so sad and funny at the same time. Love your observations.

    ReplyDelete