Friday, June 22, 2012

BYGTWSO!-Day 10


We decided to head up the canyon to hike and camp! We have this relationship with the Lower Mill Canyon Trail. We discovered it once while snowshoeing from the Tibble Fork Reservoir parking lot, but by the time we got to the trailhead and some beyond, the temperature was one degree and darkness was falling and K had to head back to Brigham City for the week. Since then, we've been re-visiting this trailhead to make further distance, always being turned back by first, the completely flooded trail (last year was a high water year) and then by the first stream crossing--too wide, too deep, we weren't willing to soak shoes, remove shoes, or otherwise try any harder that day. So, in this particularly dry year, we thought we would see if we could get past that stream crossing.

But first, a word from a famous nature writer, Edward Abbey:

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds."


There were actually several stream crossings this day. I decided to go first each and every time because K has this habit of saying, "Just put your foot there on that rock." Well, the way across the stream could be really different for someone who is 6'3" as opposed to someone who is 5'2", so I just try to be first and do what works for me.


We made it up the trail for a mile where we reached some more signage. We were glad it was the middle of the week and that we met no bikers screaming down because parts of that trail are steeeeep and winding. Someone was kind enough to put the word "bear" on the sign, so we decided that was enough hiking for the morning and that we would head down again. So we managed to find Ed Abbey's "crooked, winding, lonesome, and dangerous" trail. Although the photo just doesn't do it justice, here's our "most amazing view."


We "met" a lot of squirrels. One was hissing repeatedly at K! Most of them were bossy and chatting, yelling at us, "Get off my trail and out of my forest!" One was too interested in his snack to scold.


Now here's a happy hiker! Playing outside is my happy place no matter how much sweat drips off my body. Whether it's the endorphins generated by exercise, or being with the man I love, or the gorgeous scenery, I can't decide. If you find me grumpy, go ahead and say it, "Go take a hike!" Because that's probably the exact medicine I need.


Want to know a secret? Site #23 at the Timpooneke Campground, Loop B, is a primo site! Following are a few pics. And I love our new tent!


We had lunch at Martin after our Lower Mill Canyon hike and then set up camp at Site #23 in the campground. Then we went on an afternoon excursion into the Wilderness. I won't post more pictures of flowers and fauna this time, but we did see some interesting signage and I found another happy hiker! By the way, we promise not to snowmobile in the wilderness. Especially in June.


We hiked back to camp and prepared dinner in the cast iron over a wood fire with some charcoal as well. We made hamburgers with fried potatoes and onions. I wish I had started counting from the beginning the number of times this boy and I have cooked potatoes in the woods. It's his favorite. We added the onion too soon and so some of those were a bit blackened. While eating, I joked, "Are these what you call 'carmelized' onions?" K shot back, "No, they're called CARBONIZED onions." After dinner, we cleaned up of course--we don't want bears visiting! And then we went on an evening walk up to the meadow. Lady Timpanogos is stunning all day long, but we loved seeing her after sunset in the evening shadows. It was a cool evening--just perfect for escaping the heat of the valley.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a perfect day. I wish I had been their to share your scrumptious-sounding meal and see the meadow with you. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete