Friday, June 22, 2012

BYGTWSO!-Day 11


We woke up in camp and had a quick and easy breakfast. We packed up and headed for the cave since neither of us has stepped foot on that trail this whole season. We stopped in at the VC to chum with our ranger pals there and then enjoyed a fairly quiet walk up to the cave. I was worried the red penstemon would be gone by now, but God saved some for me, knowing how busy I've been with school, illness, visiting relatives, and all the rest. The purple penstemon was really glorious as well! Because we took our time getting there, I didn't think we'd meet many of the usual early morning hikers that we've come to know. Also, we knew most of the rangers would have already hiked up and be in the cave giving tours, but we were blessed to run into LOTS of people we know: Volunteer Mike (like me, started as a volunteer, became a ranger, quit rangering, and then became a volunteer again), Dannon Dave, June and Wally (great grandparents of one of the boys in my class this past year), Alisa (former teammate and current principal who was hiking with her summer school kids), Doug, Ron, and many more and of course, all the lovely rangers! It was like a big 'ol family reunion!

We went home to shower that campfire smell away and then headed for Chuck-a-Rama (Is that how you spell it? It was the second time in my entire life eating there). Then we went shopping for new Keens--we each got a pair for hiking! Back at home, we continued the laundry and unloading/unpacking process. I prepared for a church meeting and K watched the game. We never got around to dinner since our lunch was big and late. K set up the cool mist humidifier to see if we can somehow finally knock down these colds.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like some fun reunions. Oh, to be out on the trail! Also - nice choice on the Keen's. I LOVE mine - I could sleep in them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my third pair of Keen footwear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keens are awesome! I almost wore my pair on our last hike but Justin convinced me to wear my boots instead.....and then they disintegrated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I sure do miss those faces!! This post made me smile a lot. I might be coming to Utah Labor Day weekend. Will you hike up to the cave with me Jody?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and Brandon Mull was on the trail as he often is. I greeted him and he said, "Oh, HIIIIII, I didn't recognize you without your uniform on!"

    ReplyDelete