Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Dental Thrills

My boring little dental saga continues! Awhile back, in early September, I believe it was the 5th, I had my six month check up. Had to go back for more work due to that "cavitating" Number Three (or whatever they call that tooth). Went back on the 19th to get all fixed up. Been in pain ever since, but at first, I had Hope. I kept telling K, "It's getting longer and longer between the need for alternate doses of Tylenol and Ibuprofen!"

Well, last Friday, everything crashed and I've been in quite.a.lot.of.pain.since.then! I called the dentist yesterday morning at 7:30 a.m. sharp to plea my pathetic little case. They tried to get me in earlier, but I said, "I would rather endure the pain longer than get a substitute for my little band of thirty-five." They saw me at 4:30 p.m.

I have to go back today at 1:30 p.m. which means, I will be away from my class for the first time this year and yes, I have to explain to someone else just how to steer my particular ship. My darling husband asked with a wide smile, "Does this mean you'll be home for lunch?" I replied, "Yes, but all I had for lunch today was a soft peanut butter sandwich and a banana. Don't prepare anything too fancy."

The dentist kindly asked if I needed any pain medication to get me through to 1:30 p.m. today. I mentioned my little program of alternating the stuff processed by the liver with the stuff processed by the kidneys. In his candor and twisted sense of dental humor he asked, "Have you been LIVIN' on it?" Yes. Yes, as a matter of fact, I have.

Here's the thing. In spite of my title above, I am absolutely THRILLED to be getting a root canal today! Huzzah and HUZZAH!!! Isn't it SO GREAT that there are OPTIONS for me? Isn't it AMAZING they can stop the pain? What ever did the pioneers DO??? He told me how long the appointment would be and then apologized it would be a little longer for me because he was going to have to pull somebody's wisdom teeth in the middle of my appointment, but I don't CARE! I will bring a book to read to pass the time! Just KILL it! That's all I ask. Kill the pain. Kill the nerve. Make it go away! I am SO HAPPY to have access to great medical care! Do whatever you must! This is going to be one of the best days of my entire life!

1 comment:

  1. AMEN!! The day I had a root canal was the best day of my life- I had no idea a tooth/nerve- whatever- could cause so much pain- and how $500 could make it all go away! ;)

    ReplyDelete