Wednesday, October 17, 2012

From Andromeda to Zuni


I've been taking these history classes for a few years now and one of my teachers is Dr. Jay Buckley from BYU. Last month, he lectured about Native Americans and when he showed a slide of Pueblo Bonito at Chaco Canyon, I went straight home and told K that we would be headed there for Fall Break. And that's exactly how it all went down.

You know you're in Indian country when you see several sets of mano and matate sitting around (photo above). Grain grinder, powered by YOU.

We left at 4:00 p.m. after school on Wednesday and did not return until after 9:00 p.m. on Monday night. Yes, I am tired. But I am so glad we got to do all this and see all this. When my body is broken and I am older, I will stay home and rest. Yes, our home needs a little attention, but we just couldn't resist the chance to go and see and do. We packed it in as much as we could and had a grand time. It was lovely and I cherish all these memories made with my Sweetie.

We stuck to mostly National Park Service sites on this trip and I must say that although I am a former NPS ranger, they do such a fine job of telling America's Story. I believe we hit seven more "gems in the crown" on this expedition! We kept collecting stamps in our NPS passports, happily filling up those pages. You really should go! You can learn so much and have a ton of fun doing it.

I don't have time to write more just now, but I will be adding posts about the specifics of our Fall Break 2012 adventures. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment