Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Lastings


Once we got into New Mexico, we headed straight for Aztec Ruins. No, they were not constructed by the Aztecs. However, when the pioneers rolled through, that was the best name they could come up with and the name has stuck. I've been taught that the name Anasazi is offensive and negative, but pretty much everywhere we went, people were throwin' it around, including the Navajo. I didn't really hear anyone say "Ancestral Puebloan." So, please forgive the names I use in these blog posts--not trying to offend a single soul.

Speaking of nomenclature, I decided early on in the trip, that calling all of these structures "ruins" was a huge mistake. These places were built 900-1000 years ago! Nothing I ever build, influence, write (no, not even this blog) will still be around in a thousand years, so in my mind, I changed the name to "lastings."

Not only did they build, they did it with style and decor in mind:


Following are a few more photos from Aztec. The roof of the great kiva (a ceremonial chamber) is missing so someone reconstructed it. I find it interesting that all these great kivas have four round slabs of stone.


I really wanted to see the Anasazi pottery (white with black geometric designs). I thought it would be on display everywhere. Not so. Either it's all for sale on eBay ot it's way too precious to put in a glass showcase at some visitor center. We saw hardly any pottery anywhere.

One of our delights is that they let you actually walk around and through the buildings. What would people think if they got to walk through your home a thousand years from now?

1 comment:

  1. I love your word - "lastings". That's perfect. And the last photo, looking out through all of those doorways was really cool! I wish I could have been there with you.

    ReplyDelete