Monday, October 8, 2012

National Fossil Day

My husband cracks me up, catches me off guard, and says the most incredible things. We were going over finances last night, me at the dining room table looking at the statement and he about two feet away with Quicken pulled up on the computer. While he waited for me, he surfed a bit and blurted out, "Oh! National Fossil Day is coming up on the 17th!!!"

Who exclaims such things? With such excitement? My husband does, the man with the true heart of a National Park Ranger. And you know what else he says? He says he chose the Lofthouse soft sugar cookies with the pink ribbon sprinkles because it's breast cancer awareness month (or whatever the kosher phrase is). My grandmother and mother have both suffered from breast cancer, but am I even aware of this month-long ribbon campaign? No.

As I was headed to bed last night, I got a little whiney about not having finished my homework for my literature class this evening. I started the book on September 5th, but it's another from the ever-popular fantasy genre, and I've had a lot of trouble slogging my way through, much preferring to read other works in other genres. This is my third year in this literature class and it's the first time I haven't finished a book. I feel majorly guilty and am worried the teacher might cut my fingers off, but I am simply out of time, although I have been trying all weekend. Darling Husband asks with concern, "How far did you get?" I explained that I'm on page 186 out of exactly 500 pages. With an encouraging smile, he says, "So you've got the gist of it!" Laughed my head off. OFF! He doesn't understand how outlandish this sounds to a professional educator.

On a side note, I made butternut squash soup this morning from scratch and it is delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment