Saturday, September 29, 2012

Relief Society General Broadcast

Once a year on the last Saturday in September, we, the women of a world-wide sisterhood known as Relief Society, get a special treat! It's called the Relief Society General Broadcast. This is a meeting for all of the women in the Church who are eighteen and older. We hear inspired talks from the Relief Society General Presidency, a group of three women who lead our organization from headquarters. The presidency usually changes about every five years or so, so this was our first time hearing from our new presidency. A member of the First Presidency speaks to the women as well. Following are some brief comments and excerpts concerning what I got out of the meeting:

Sister Linda K. Burton, General President of the Relief Society: All unfairness can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Our challenges are for our growth and progress. There is power in the Atonement to overcome the natural man (woman).

Sister Carole M. Stephens, First Counselor: It is for us to be wide awake to our duties. Have our hearts gradually hardened? Continue to strive for the ideal as we wait upon the Lord.

Sister Linda S. Reeves, Second Counselor: Jesus wept. He will take upon Him the pains and the afflictions of his people. He has compassion for us. He has engraven us upon the palms of His hands.

President Henry B. Eyring, First Counselor in the First Presidency: Attending to the temporal needs of others builds faith. We should serve even when it's inconvenient, unpleasant, or when we think someone doesn't really need the service. However, we must mind our own physical, emotional, and financial limits. We should give according to that which we have. Service should be given in wisdom and order. We should be slow to judge the burden someone else carries.

I was sitting with and near and amidst several sisters from our ward. After the meeting, a member of our own ward Relief Society presidency came over and invited anyone who wanted to go to a place known as The Chocolate. I'd never been and it sounded good to me, but I had no phone or money on me. I drove home and announced to K, "I'm going OUT!" He smiled really big because I never make such announcements, but he was happy for me to spend some time with some girls. I promised to bring a sweet treat back for him. I was introduced to a tasty concoction called the Cazookie, but I just couldn't finish it even though I hadn't eaten anything since two.

The conversations were great--so nice to connect with all the ladies in the neighborhood who lead such different lives than I do. There's like this whole other world going on in the neighborhood while I'm in my classroom every day and once in awhile I find out bits and pieces. We each have a spot in the vineyard and my little area happens to have thirty-five ten and eleven year old children. In fact, I went to the vineyard earlier today and accomplished a couple of things, but not nearly enough!

The Chocolate was a happenin' place tonight. We were there with the rest of the county, but our neighborhood ladies staked out a room with the perfect number of seats for our group. K liked his treat and I liked mine, but if we know what's really good for us, we won't be going back anytime soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment