Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Caves, I and II


Cave I went like this:

I took my students to the caves today. K met me on the trail to be an extra set of eyes and ears for the safety of the students. I discovered wildlife at the quarter way arch! Love that K accidentally made it into the picture as well.

Some of the rangers were all, "Where have you BEEN???" Well, we spent five weeks out of state visiting ten other states, thank you very much. One of the rangers asked, "What are you doing UP here on a school day???" I had to laugh as I explained that all the children on the trail were my children. One of the lead supervisors hiked up some fresh homemade salsa from his own garden tomatoes so I helped myself to it. Just like one of the family.

Anyway, I got to go inside the caves on the first tour. Like I never left. Love that place. Own it. So at home in that cave. Wish I had loads of time to spend with my class in there to teach them so many things.

Hiked down.

Everyone lived. Managed to stay off the evening news once again. Those were the first priorities.

The weather was FANTASTIC, cool and shady on the way up, warm and sunny on the way down. The scenery was the same ol' reliable GORGEOUS. The caves were awe INSPIRING like they've been for the last three hundred forty million years. I think most of the students enjoyed it. I know one girl did. She informed me that if she had a choice between Disneyworld and the cave, she would choose the cave. I asked if she's ever been to Disneyworld. She has. She's also been to Disneyland. She would still choose the cave. That cave speaks for itself. You just have to be sure to listen.

Cave II went like this:

Fast forward to 5:00 p.m. I was at my dental checkup. The hygienist was so pleased, exclaiming how clean everything looked! This made me happy. I thought, "Surely, I will escape from this visit with no treatment plan." Yes, well the dentist informed me I have a "cave." I asked him to repeat himself because the usual three syllable word "cavity" did not show up on my radar. Again, he said, "You have a cave between two and three. Your tooth is cavitating." Cavitating? Four syllables. Seriously? Can I find that word on Dictionary.com?

So, yes, today was all about CAVES. All sorts of caves. But at least I got this spiffy swag bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment