Monday, September 3, 2012

Pop, Pop, Pop!


My landlord taught me to can several years ago. She said I could do anything I wanted with the peaches off her tree and boy, do I wish I had access to that beautiful tree now! Canning is the best when the food is FREE!

When I married K and summer rolled around several months later, he was amazed that I knew how to can produce. The look on his face when I started talking about it was...amusing. You know, his look was as if to say, "Wow. I knew you liked to hike and you have great camping equipment and you have this career and you can do marvelous things with a crock pot, but...you know how to can??? You see, my boy loves this thing called a tomato. Loves.

So, we usually graciously accept any offerings from various people and we sometimes purchase things in order to can them, but this year we grew our own food!!! In the words of my mother-in-law, "That's been a nice little project for you two."

K is the BEST canning buddy any girl could hope for. Each of us could do all of the steps on our own, but there's a certain ebb and flow of things in our kitchen when we tackle the project together. We had everything done so fast and the kitchen was so cleaned up today that even I was impressed. Go Team Kyburz!

We were folding laundry in the bedroom when we heard the last jar pop. For those of you have canned, you know that you love to hear the pops. You might forget about the pops over the winter, but when you put up food once again and you hear that lovely report, you can't help it, you breathe this tiny sigh of relief, tiny because you knew it would happen, but you never know until you hear it. Then, and only then, can you say that all is right in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment