Friday, September 21, 2012

Highest Honors


For the first time in my entire teaching career, I have had a dinosaur named after me! I just LOVE this picture! I love it because it packs so much meaning. The child who drew it is completely in love with dinosaurs and knows far more about them than I ever will. When he gave the picture to me, I was delighted and I'm sure that showed up in my facial expressions, however, my heart absolutely melted when he simply said, "I made it for you."

Yesterday, my students were working on their maps of the USA. I heard one say, "Tomorrow is Author's Chair...yes!" I don't know why, but this class is so excited about sharing their writing. I must thank their fourth grade teachers. They are forever asking, "Can we share? When are we going to share? Can you read mine right now? I know you're busy right now, but if I leave my story on your desk, do you think you could read it by tomorrow?" Such cuties!

One of my girls got checked out yesterday afternoon for an appointment. Before leaving, in front of the whole class, she came over and gave me a hug. So darling. Honestly, they are incredibly sweet most of the time.

Another boy off-handedly mentioned he has an eye disease that will cause him to go blind. He further explained that he's fine with it because it's genetic from his grandpa and his grandpa can still see great. The thought that ran through my head was, "I must do my best to teach him now, while he still has good eyes." I know he's not going blind this year or anything, but I need to mentor and motivate that kid to have the desire to read and learn so that his whole life will be filled with wonders.

One girl brought a caterpillar into the classroom first thing in the morning. One of my Informants reported it to me immediately (thank you) and I told her to take it outside. She did. I thought that was the end of the caterpillar business. No. She returned after morning recess absolutely wailing and sobbing, truly broken-hearted, because, "When you told me to take it outside, I hid it in a water bottle so I could see it later and Theo (a classmate) grabbed the bottle and now it's on the other side of the locked gate and...IT'S. GOING. TO. DIE!!!" I calmly reminded her that I told her to let it go outside and that if she had done that, the caterpillar would be free. Fast forward to Lunch Recess (the saga continues). I went out to pick up my class and there she was holding a water bottle with a caterpillar inside. The custodian was just locking up the gate again and when he saw me I asked,"Did you just unlock that for her?" He smiled and said, "Yep. I saved him!" I told her to let the caterpillar go and this time, she complied. I have to admire her resourcefulness in convincing a custodian to help her out. You just never know. The strong-willed child consumed with saving a caterpillar today may end up saving me or our society in the future. You can't count the apples in a seed.

Today is Friday and I'm really tired. I went back to school last night while K was watching football. There were four other people there when I arrived. The place was somewhat "lively" at 9:00 p.m.! I got in a couple of more hours of work which somewhat compensates for the 2.5 hours I'm spending at bus duty this week. I'm not finished. I'm not ready. I need to do more. But I have to say, it is an HONOR to teach all of these wonderful children. They make my day every day. After all, has anyone ever named a dinosaur after you? Didn't think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment