Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Chinese Lady at Church


So, the weekend doesn't count for vacation days in my rule book, but we had a special weekend 4-5 August. We got to visit FAMILY! On the way to their house, we did take in a fourth cave on our great midwestern adventure--Crystal Lake Cave in Iowa. BEAUTIFUL. Slightly cheezy tour guide, but the formations speak for themselves. The bat flying around repeatedly making passes over our head may have been a little rabid, but the cave was amazing. And then we got to Bettendorf where my sister lives with her husband and two boys.


The boys weren't there when we arrived, but their parents graciously fed us lunch anyway. Then we all drove out to the boy scout camp in Illinois to greet them after their week away in Lansing, Michigan at NOAC (National Order of the Arrow Convention/Contingent/Conference/Coalition or whatever the C stands for)--NICE camp! When we got back to their house, there was a big thunderstorm which took care of the electricity for a couple of hours. It was a fine opportunity to go get ice cream!

One of the things we did together that weekend was visit the site of the older boy's Eagle Scout project. He and all his volunteers logged over 600 man hours in rehabilitating the walking trail on this island in the Mississippi River. It was near Lock and Dam 14, so we got to see the whole canal scene operating. We played Boy Scout Monopoly, Farkle, and Curses. It was great to spend time with all four of them!

Now, about that Chinese Lady. On Sunday, we attended Church in Illinois with my sister and her family. Once a month, in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we have what's called Testimony Meeting. Anyone who feels so inclined, is invited to step to the podium and share or bear their testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. These are usually short talks, perhaps 1-4 minutes. Near the end of the meeting, a lady named LW approached the microphone and you could see she was a little emotional. I loved her immediately. I don't know if it's because of her Spirit or my understanding of Asians in general because I lived in Japan, or her lovely broken English or what, but I sure loved her.

She explained that she had recently met with the bishop of the ward to let him know that she had decided she wanted to be sealed in the temple to her Annie ("my Annie" was the way she said it). One could infer that she was divorced and the mother of one daughter who looks to be a teenager. She explained that she was shocked, surprised, and devastated to learn that this was not possible because she does not currently have a husband. She herself is a convert to the church and it sounds like she has received her own endowment in the temple. She said she "cried like a baby" in the bishop's office. But then, she bore pure testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Plan of Salvation and her faith in Jesus Christ. It was powerful. She proclaimed that she will live the Gospel to the best of her ability until the day comes that she and Annie can be united eternally as a Family in the House of the Lord. She doesn't know when that will be, but she is strong and dedicated. She said she wants to do her best and that if anybody sees her doing something wrong that we should "knock me in the head or scream at me" so she can improve.

There are so many of us who have tried our best to live righteously and yet blessings are still withheld for a later time. Some people jump ship because they aren't very patient. I want to be like LW and just dig my heels in a little harder and renew my promises. I will wait upon the Lord for His blessings according to His will and His timing. I will not jump ship. After the meeting, I went to the pew where LW was sitting. I offered a hand shake and thanked her for sharing her testimony. She locked eyes with me, both sets watery, and then we embraced silently. I may never see her again, but she has impacted my life and I will always be glad I heard her speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment