Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Journal


Well, this is the second week that school has been in session...can't you tell? No time for blogging! I have thirty-five wonderful, amazing, curious, hilarious, loving little students and it is a huge task to teach them!

Every year, I have my students keep a journal. To prove to them that I practice what I preach, I took my journal, all thirty-three volumes of it, to school to show them that not only do I practice, I've been practicing for a long time!

They assumed I was just going to pass out my books and let them read whatever! No...I didn't do that. What I DO do every year is ask them when they were born. I read aloud to them what I was doing on the day they came into the world, not knowing of course that ten or eleven years later, I would be their fifth grade teacher. They love this activity!

This year's class asked something that no other class has asked. "When is YOUR birthday, Mrs. K.?" So I told them about my summer birthday and how no one ever remembers it and that's just the way it's been my whole life. They asked me to read from my most current journal to share with them how I celebrated my birthday in July. It was the luckiest thing that I did because when they heard that I had gone to Kneader's for their all-you-can-eat French toast (for the first time ever in my life), one boy asked me if I would be going to the local Kneader's, new near our school, on Friday morning for their Grand Opening because they will be serving FREE all-you-can-eat French toast! "Reaaaaaalllly?"

So many good things come from writing in your journal!

No comments:

Post a Comment