Wednesday, August 15, 2012

BYGTWSO-Day 47


Got up yesterday at 4:30 a.m., exercised at the Fitness Center (ran into my old buddy, Bruce, who asked, "Where ya been?"), studied, showered, etc. Was late to school (7:36 a.m.) which is why I'm practicing because I'm still on summer vacation, remember? Worked at school until 10:45 a.m. and then left for a blessed pedicure appointment. Stopped at home for lunch prepared by K and it was perfect: salad with craisins, sunflower seeds, and feta, one ear of corn, and some super sweet melon--he's the best. Back at school I worked until seven children from last year's class arrived to help!


They were very helpful and so funny. The things they talk about! One said, "This is like a high school reunion!" One boy hugged me when he got there and hugged me when he left. I guess they're not quite big, tough, sixth graders yet. One boy said he won't consider himself a sixth grader until the class lists are posted and he knows who his teacher is. We got a lot accomplished, but there's more to do, so some of them are coming back today!


After working without pay for a few more hours, I headed straight to the Church for our monthly Relief Society Midweek Meeting. It was a great meeting, but it went a little long. It was sort of a back-to-school night and one of the classes was about healthy lunches and after school snacks. The big hit of the evening would have to be Michelle's recipe for homemade fruit rollups. We had samples and they are just like the ones you buy at the store, complete with different colors on the same rollup and everything! The Literacy class was also very inspiring. I learned stuff at the hair cutting class, but since I've never had the guts to even trim my own hair, I probably won't be cutting anyone else's. Ever.


After the meeting, K and I had a date to freeze corn, but of course I was late getting home, past my bedtime and everything. Still, we froze corn. The electric knife is oh so handy for this job! Since I got to bed so late, I slept in until 5:40 a.m. this morning and thus, skipped exercising. Which is okay today because we're going on a very special hike this evening. However, this is how the downward spiral begins every school year where I've established better exercise routines through the summer which has led to weight loss and then very rapidly, all of that goes out the window during school because I just can't do it all. Missing the meeting was not an option. I have the keys and the responsibility. Not preparing for school was not an option. I worked smart by enlisting help. Not freezing corn was not an option. It's ripe. We're blessed to grow our own food. Glad we get to hike tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment