Tuesday, August 16, 2011

We Walked to Idaho



Before walking to Idaho, I had been working in my classroom. K had helped me a couple of times, but there was so much to do. So...I called this little family and asked their mom if I could borrow at least two of her girls. She sent all four and we had a great visit while getting that classroom ready for a new batch of students. I have had the privilege of teaching each of these four ladies. Although sisters, they aren't alike in personality at all. I have always had the strongest feeling that their mother is a great mother. I've told her that a time or two, but she tends to scoff and look away. One of these girls recently had heart surgery. One of them was life-flighted once after driving the four-wheeler through a barbed wire fence (whenever I call K to let him know one of my students is at Primary Childrens, he says, "Again?"). I attended their father's funeral a couple of years ago. They've all been through so much. There's a little brother coming up the line, but time will only tell if I get to be his teacher too. And I must go on about one other thing...I've been contacting the families on my new class list before Back to School Night and as I have been visiting with these people, I am so impressed with the absolute fierce love they have for their children. Yes, this is common. This is a good thing. This is what good parents do. And yet, it's so striking all over again. I am so thankful for these parents who wear themselves out trying to raise a decent human being. I think they receive far less praise than they deserve. Parents go through so much.


We camped at Lewis M. Turner Campground near Tony Grove. We love that little campground! I think this was our third stay. It was almost a full moon, the western cone flowers were in all their glory and the grasses were tall, by golly. Very peaceful. We cooked hamburgers on our little camp stove and enjoyed them with a sliced tomato from the fruit stand. It got very chilly and very dew-y overnight, but it's always great to sleep in the cool mountain air rather than in the hot valley down below.


This is proof positive that I indeed walked to Idaho. Okay, it was only 3.6 miles, but still, it's not that often that one walks from one state into another. This trail is called the Sink Hollow Trail.


These are pictures K took when he climbed down into the sink. Me? I'm too chicken to climb down into a sink. You can call me chicken or you can call me safe. No one has ever had to call search and rescue for me (knock on wood).




We had a picnic in northern Utah and found this sign. K really likes this quote from Brigham Young and says we ought to take it as scripture. He also really likes to emphasize the part in the Family Proclamation about "wholesome recreation." Anything which leads to more camping is absolutely wonderful in K's book!


Buffalo Chips--straight from Antelope Island. Not only did a couple of Spike rangers have to go collect the stuff...they had to PAY fifty dollars for it!


This is my favorite park ranger in the whole wide world. I adore this man. I am so in love with this man. As I watch him working with people, I'm so impressed by his easy manner. Everyone gets along with him and I just think he is fantastic.


Railroader's Festival is always a good time on the second Saturday of August each year--this was my fourth time attending/volunteering. I didn't take as many pictures this year and I wasn't actually ON the schedule, so it was nice to just roam around and help out at various stations. They had two different musical groups performing. This is a group of six kids, ages eleven to eighteen, who live between Payson and Ogden. They played: bass, violin, violin, guitar, banjo, and mandolin. They were fabulous! After their performance, they jumped on the speeder car with their instruments and played a tune as they headed down the track.

3 comments:

  1. that much money for buffalo chips? whatever for???
    and it's good your cautious like me, i'd hate for search and rescue (or whatever) to have to come rescue me from my stupidity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't even have a class list! We're getting a split 4th/5th teacher. Instead of having someone teach it who has experience (like Condita...she's taught 4th and 5th) we're trying to get a brand new teacher! When our principal moved one of our teachers to take Linda Western's spot in 1st...I told her we'd need a new teacher. But as usual, no one listens to me!
    Tony Grove was the "Clear Creek" when I was in 5th grade. I was 7th ALTERNATE! All my friends went, not me. As you can see, I have never gotten over this, and it caused a lot of damage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liss, there's some new "rule" about taking stuff out of a state park...doesn't really matter what it is...I guess the flat rate is $50. It probably required several pages of official paperwork, but I don't know for sure.

    ReplyDelete