Thursday, September 1, 2016

Teaching Wonders



Wonders is this new reading program we're teaching school-wide, district-wide. They come within a breath of mandating that we use it, but technically, they don't mandate. If they buys it, we teaches it. I'm a compliant person, so I would never think of not teaching Wonders. I decided last spring during one of my BYU classes for my reading endorsement that I would like Wonders. And then we got trained by the district and now I've almost got my first week of Wonders under my belt. And I like it.

Disclaimer: I don't feel like I'm teaching anything new or different. Not that I'm the best at everything, but none of these concepts are new. I've ridden this horse before, the English Language Arts curriculum.

What's new is the PACE of the horse! We have been on a full-throttle gallop all week and I'm not sure we're ever going to reach the finish line (or that we're riding as many trails as we're actually supposed to), but we have been going along riding as many minutes of the school day as humanly possible.

I think I'm used to plodding along, stopping for grass here, and drinking water there. The thing that Wonders does for me is save time in gathering up materials and texts. I like the efficiency of it. And I'm just trusting that the pace and the crazy curriculum map developed by this company will give the children more for their money in terms of using academic minutes.

We'll see how the weekly assessment turns out tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I just heard Calvan..."We jump on the bandwagon, we jump off the bandwagon!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard Calvan..."We jump on the bandwagon, we jump off the bandwagon!"

    ReplyDelete