Monday, March 12, 2018

I Wanted to Name Her Ruby

Some friends just had their third child and they named her Ruby. Ruby is the name we discussed should we have had a daughter (4 miscarriages). Ruby because it's two syllables ending in a "y" like Jody. Ruby because she would have been the most precious thing...even more precious than rubies. Ruby was my grandma's sister's name. And Ruby because those four letters are embedded in what would have been her last name, Kyburz (Ruby is spelled backward in Kyburz). Ruby Kyburz would probably have had brown eyes since we both do, and brown is dominate. But maybe not. I'm happy for these friends and they are wonderful parents. I'm glad they get to have their Ruby. It just reminds me that we don't. So there's a little mother secret leaking from my heart. That's all.

4 comments:

  1. That was beautiful. Sorry Jody!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Hugs*
    Ruby is my birthstone, I got it in my wedding ring because I didn't think I'd ever get a Ruby otherwise. I'm partial to every Ruby I meet and have had 2 in my Primary classes.
    --Liss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes...my birthstone as well. I have never had a Ruby in all my years of teaching and I think that's just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jody, that was beautiful. And sad. But I am so glad you shared it.

    ReplyDelete