Friday, April 11, 2014

Spring Break 2014--Day 1

Monday 7 April 2014

There are no photographs from today. K had to work. In fact, I had to take him to work so that I could take his vehicle in for some repairs. I also made an appointment with the doctor for the afternoon and was relieved that no antibiotics were needed! I/we shopped for food, cleaned, cooked, did laundry, and packed for our our little campout. Therefore, it was a day of errands and chores, but that's okay, because I can't possibly accomplish these types of tasks while teaching all day--so nice to just make a doctor appointment and be able to go without thinking, "Am I gonna need a sub?"

Two really spectacular things happened today, one of which was finishing reading a marvelous memoir by Ivan DOIG entitled This House of Sky. I cannot begin to describe the wordsmithing this guy uses. So rich! Being from the Big Sky and having family members who talk the way he quoted people ("atall"), I really connected to this story--plus, I adore memoir! I was touched as he described his father's battle with emphysema because my own mother suffered from that for decades! I read a paragraph aloud to my husband, which made me cry. I love books that make me cry.

The second really spectacular thing that happened today was dinner with old friends, Eric and Trish. We've been planning this for a YEAR! The stars finally aligned and it was fabulous to hug, eat, talk, and hug again. Eric and I served together in Japan and it's always been one of those friendships that's mostly dormant, but when our paths do cross, we instantly reconnect. K had met them before, briefly, but it was our first chance to have them all to ourselves. I just always feel incredibly blessed when people take time for me. And I always feel incredibly blessed when I reflect on the richness of my life because of the PEOPLE who have been part of it. I find a lot of joy in people!

No comments:

Post a Comment