Thursday, May 2, 2013

Gary Paulsen Is Amazing



I just finished reading Woodsong aloud to my students this afternoon. They loved it. I got all choked up as I read the last paragraph. Gary Paulsen is so amazing and if you don't know why, Google him. Woodsong is non-fiction, a memoir. The kids were so quiet when I read. They laughed at all the right parts. They liked Gary's humor about Willie being dumber than a walnut. They care a lot about Storm. And Cookie. They totally caught the inferencing when Gary spoke of eating nineteen bowls of moose chili at an Iditarod checkpoint and then inside of four hours finding himself in extreme "gastric distress." And they roared as he ended that story by saying it got so bad that even the dogs stopped, turned, and just stared at him.

Hawai'i yesterday (May Day is Lei Day in Hawai'i) and Alaska today (Iditarod story by Paulsen). I guess we'll head down to Mexico soon for Cinco de Mayo. But first, let's peak into the southern states.

We are also learning about the Civil War. My students used real cotton to experience a day in the life of a slave (more like four minutes in the life of a slave). They could not believe how sharp the thorns were and how long it took to get one seed out of the cotton.

Management in May is something of a challenge. One student had to write a note home to parents today explaining poor choices. This student became rather dramatic saying, "I'm going to get my butt whipped! Do you GET that?" I emailed the mother and she said, "Lots of chores...no butt whipping."

I love teaching children. I love hearing their compassionate feelings toward people in our history (and present day) who never got a fair shake. I love Gary Paulsen's writing. I love dramatic comments and questions. Have you had any great moments with your "coworkers" lately?

1 comment:

  1. Jo,
    I've read Woodsong and liked it too. Your story reminded me of reading "Shane" aloud with my 8th graders, and "Where the Red Fern Grows". We had tears all around. And I loved teaching "The Diary of Anne Frank" because they began to look at the world in a new way. Literature has such power!

    ReplyDelete