Friday, December 7, 2012

Roller Coaster

When we visited Mom in the nursing home, she was in the process of standing up from the bed in front of her walker, in order to visit the restroom. I was standing near in case help would be needed. When she stood, I was pretty much standing directly in front of her with nothing but the walker separating us. She reached out and patted my belly with a smile on her face. I don't think she's touched my belly for decades, you know? But she was smiling and just teasing me and being silly. My husband laughed too.

L. asked me to read something aloud at the service tomorrow. Hope I can pull it off! My cousin from Michigan called to express his sympathies using the words, "Wonderful, wonderful memories!" We stopped by the funeral home to look at the flowers since the high tomorrow will be twenty degrees with lots of wind and blowing snow. Each card just put me over the edge emotionally. People are so sweet. All those same-sounding notes on Facebook? They make me tear up--every single comment!

My five sisters and I met for breakfast this morning at the Cozy Corner Cafe. A lovely Mennonite girl named Suzanne was our server. She took us all in stride. We drove out to Sunset Hills to look at the burial site because it might be hard to find in the morning with all the snow. Yep, still riding the roller coaster!

No comments:

Post a Comment