Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ducking Out to a Funeral

When I asked my administrator about attending Mrs. B's funeral, he was against the idea of me taking personal leave. One of the aides at our school covered my class for me for less than an hour which worked out with lunch and other scheduling so that I could dash over, slide into a seat in the back and enjoy the uplifting talks and music. The music was provided by the nieces and nephews--very professional and lovely. Another niece gave the Life Sketch, the father-in-law, a patriarch, spoke next, followed by the big brother, then the bishop, and last of all the stake president. All wonderful talks. Such a strong network of loving family members. I took notes as I have at other funerals, but I'll just share one of the last thoughts presented in the service by the stake president, paraphrased: "We do not focus on the dieing Christ who was crucified by displaying symbols of the cross. Rather, we worship the Living Christ who was resurrected so that we may also be resurrected. Please do not think of the pain that Marlene endured. Do not focus on that aspect of her life. Remember the Jubilant Marlene." And then...one more observation about Mr. B. He wasn't about to let go of her until he had no other choice. He followed her casket into the chapel (helped push or steer perhaps, I was way in the back and couldn't see everything, that's just how it looked to me). He was listed as a pallbearer (unless there's another relative by the same name) in the program. He was doing his duty, everything in his power, to see it all through. I shared this with K and he said, "Yes, if you died, I would want to be one of your pallbearers." This surprised me because he doesn't do well, at all, at funerals. I guess I've always thought of pallbearers as grandchildren, nephews, uncles, or dear friends, not direct, immediate family or spouses. And then my Sweetie said, "And I would want to speak at your funeral." I asked, "Really? Wouldn't you be too emotional or something?" He said, "Maybe, but I would want to make sure people knew some very special things about you." Awww...love him! And then he said, "Please don't die anytime soon."

1 comment:

  1. This was so sweet and uplifting. I'm so grateful you've got him and he's got you!

    ReplyDelete