Sunday, June 12, 2011

OSV and Antiquarian Society



On this day, we were taken to the American Antiquarian Society in Worcester (pronounced "Wooster"). All I could think was, "Do the terrorists know???" This is a book vault with ORIGINAL records of things especially from 1640-1876, but beyond as well! I saw tea from the Boston Tea Party. I saw original artwork by Paul Revere. I saw a REAL stamp from the Stamp Act! I've got to go back! They also brought out a copy of the Book of Mormon from 1840. They had an older one, but it was locked up. America is some kind of place!

So, lucky me! I brought a rain poncho on the trip in my backpack. I was the envy of all the other teachers at OSV. Then I got this great idea to take a boat ride on the river. It was a COVERED pontoon ride and I was spared from the heaviest part of the downpour. Also, I was the only passenger. I innocently asked if they sell bug spray at the gift shop. The captain gave me some of hers! AND...in all my wandering around, I found a nice warm fire at the Freeman Farm. The girls were baking apple pie.


This is some of the tornado damage from the week before. All of the people at Old Sturbridge Village were so thankful that the village was mostly spared. All of the buildings here have been taken from different sites around New England, disassembled, transported, and reassembled at OSV. This is looking out the back door of the Freeman Barn.

1 comment:

  1. I've been to OSV!!! And half my videotaping from when I was there was mistakenly taped over when I went to China :(
    Great adventures!

    ReplyDelete