Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Since Norris Geyser Basin



Since TR and I walked through Norris Geyser Basin on Labor Day, I've been in a bit of a tailspin, narrowly avoiding crashing on many occasion. I'm happy to report, however, that some things manage to keep me sane and upright.

Color. I love the green and gold of geysers. And gray. They all start with "G" and go together marvelously. Speaking of green, some fellow teachers and I hiked to the Enchanted Forest. The sunflowers are in their glory. The Western Cone Flowers are not. We had our Native American Trading Day and one student made this darling doll. My Mud Slide (aka "desk") is so out of control. I stayed at school until after 8:00 p.m. this evening and made a dent in it.

But nevermind. Taught a great lesson today about the Iroquois Confederacy (5 tribes united). Taught about their democracy and elected leaders. Then...tied that in nicely with Constitution Day!!! Sometimes the stars do align.

It's bus duty week and I've been focusing on really seeing the children and what they're up to. Yesterday morning, I noticed five all looking up the same tree, staring with vigilance. I asked and learned that no, nothing was stuck up there, rather, there was a WORM on a LEAF! Today, I caught more than five all staring and pointing at something. It was a HUGE spider dangling from its web. Those kids know their playground. They know when something exciting is happening. They see so many things that adults do not see.

A sixth grade boy has been wearing a penguin suit before and after school as well as during recess. His little brother dared him. His parents are making sure he follows through. You just never know what you'll get while on duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment