Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Umbilical Hernia

The mister had surgery today and no, he wasn't as funny as when he got his gall bladder out. If anything, he was quite lucid. There were a couple of humorous things...

After he checked in and they gave us our blinking pager (like we were at a busy restaurant on a Saturday night...) I asked for his keys and wallet. He wouldn't give them to me. He stated, "I may still escape!"

When they took me back to recovery and I asked how he was feeling, he said, "I can tell something happened." Later he asked, "Where would I be without Fassett?" That one made me chuckle! At one point, while resting, he said, "Let me know when it's been 4 minutes from now." Okay...

He was feeling nauseated so he came up with this happy thought, "At least we brought the RAV4. If I throw up on the way home, it won't be in your new car."

You know, when the surgeon came out to talk to me, he immediately started mentioning medications and warned about using Tylenol because the meds have Tylenol in them, so don't over-do that, etc. The discharge nurse went over all of that again, so in my mind, we were receiving some really strict instructions about not overdosing on acetaminophen. What did the guy do the minute he walked through the front door? Oh yes, he popped one of his prescription migraine pills which has ACETAMINOPHEN in it!!! And they said he couldn't have any more for FOUR MORE HOURS!!! They also told me he couldn't have any meds, not even his antibiotic, without eating something first. So yeah, he just swallowed that pill and went off to bed! With no food! So I called our pharmacist, Brent, and asked for advice. The first thing Brent said was, "Try not to slap him."

Here's the bottom line: I love this man with all of my heart. I hate to see him go through uncomfortable things like surgery but at the same time, I feel like I won the lottery because I get to be the one helping him through it. He's not the easiest person to take care of when sick, but I wouldn't dream of letting anyone else have the job. He's supposed to take more antibiotic at 2:40 a.m. which requires food as well. I tucked him back into bed and said, "Wake me up and I'll cook anything you want." He gave me a little kiss and sweetly asked, "Are you gonna be around in the morning?" Yes. Yes, Sweetie, I'm going to be right here. Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment