Thursday, October 31, 2013

Broken, Dark, and Dead

It was a lovely Halloween at the elementary school. The parade was a success, the parents planned a great party, and the kids left happy and hopeful of filling that pillow case (one boy kept calling it a sleeping bag...he meant pillow case...but sleeping bag kept coming out which brought more giggles from classmates...the visual is pretty funny).

I've been thinking all week about the costumes children wear. I'm not doing research or anything, but I just wonder about some of the choices. During playground duty late last week a girl was chatting with me about her plans. First she mentioned her new hair color. Then she mentioned her plan to see the premier of Catching Fire at midnight. And when I asked about her Halloween costume she said, "I'm going to be a Broken Doll."

Hm. Part of me wonders if she really is a broken doll. Some girls dressed as dark angels and dead brides. Is it all in fun? Is it just for one day?

I don't like hearing these beautiful kidlets say, "I'm going to be...broken, dark, and dead." I just don't like it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Jody. I like costumes that are fun, not scary. My kids this year--a bear, a spider, an iPad, and a minion (from Despicable Me). I don't think I'll be one for zombies and other such creatures when they get older, either.

    ReplyDelete