Saturday, March 16, 2013

Custodial Perks



My sister used to do stand-up comedy. She's hilarious! Once she was asked by her faculty (back in the day when she taught middle school English) to do a monologue at a faculty party. I asked her what sorts of jokes and material she compiled for that. She said she cracked a few about custodians looking for any spare change they could find.

Fast forward to now. K is working as a sweeper at a local high school until he hooks up with his next park. It's true. Custodians do find spare change on occasion and it's often the highlight of their day. Even if it is only forty-five cents! It's difficult in a huge high school after hours to figure out who left their forty-five cents on the floor, so he just puts it in his pocket.

I came home from class on Thursday evening and there was a bouquet of roses in a glass vase on the table. I was SO surprised! I stopped. I exclaimed! I asked. He said, "Well, there's a little story to go along with those roses." My mind was searching, "Did you get hired for a park service job today???" No. That wasn't it.

He found the roses on the floor with papers and trash while cleaning at 4:30 p.m. It was "A" day and there wouldn't be another "A" day until Monday. The place was deserted. They were on the floor shoved under a desk with trash. So naturally, he brought them home. It's just one of the perks of the job! And no, he did not hear anything about lost roses yesterday at work either.

He had to work late last night. I had already brushed and flossed and was in bed with my Kindle hoping to stay awake until he arrived. He arrived. With a raspberry cheesecake sundae from Arctic Circle. Who does that at 10:45 p.m.? K does. His was caramel. So, of course, I ate mine. We talked about our day. When I asked about his work, he informed me that he was given a package of hamburger buns by the assistant principal, left over from the faculty luncheon. And his true delight was that he found about twenty-five points worth of Coke Rewards in the form of bottle caps!

Loose coins, roses, buns nobody wants, and bottle caps in the trash...we sure know how to get by!

2 comments: