Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Compassionate Service


In the December 2009 issue of the Ensign, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Second Counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is quoted on page 62:
"In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance."

I am so appreciative of the love, generosity, and compassionate service I've received during this latest hand surgery episode. My husband has been incredibly thoughtful to supply any need or want I have. My colleagues have been in touch, fifth graders are cheering in my section, friends have stopped by, neighbors have brought meals that weren't really necessary (but you betcha, I ate them), and I will never be able to watch all of the DVD's that folks have loaned to me. It's my second Christmas in a row devoted to surgery and healing, but both years have been filled with peace and calm, patience and compassion.

With just one good hand at the moment, my vision has improved to see the needs of others. When I am well, I hope I can make good on these thoughts to use my hands to be an instrument in the Lord's hands to answer those prayers of the ill and lonely, the heavy hearted. I hope to find myself on the "even greater importance" side of things.

1 comment: