Monday, December 18, 2017

The Whole Ugly Christmas Sweater Thing

I don't recall if I've sounded off about this previously or not, but I greatly dislike the whole fad of wearing "Ugly Christmas Sweaters."

I have done zero research, so these are just my thoughts. First of all, someone decided that something was ugly. Sounds clickish. They started picking on a certain type of clothing that some people wore. Sounds like bullying. I'm guessing the people that wore those sweaters (before the whole UCS thing gained strides) thought their sweaters were cute or festive. People don't generally wear things that they think are awful. And yes, I'm stereotyping an older generation. How insulting for those cute ladies to discover that some other people were/are mocking them.

The other thought that comes to mind is placing the word "ugly" right next to the word "Christmas." Christmas contains the word "Christ" and I don't like hearing the word ugly next to the name of my Savior.

I know, I know...it's just meant to be fun and funny...but I think it brings a negative focus to what's supposed to be a festive, positive holiday.

Yeah, I never have been good at dressing up for parties.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! And, I still wear my Christmas shirts and sweaters!

    ReplyDelete