Friday, February 15, 2013

It was Epic!



Blogger has changed their formatting AGAIN! I HATE you, Blogger! Grr... I don't have it figured out, so hopefully this post will make sense.

There's nothing quite like Valentine's Day in an elementary school. And new to me this year, was young one man proudly supporting his grandmother's battle with a shirt that said, "Walkers for Knockers!" I had a little chat with him, deciding if I should have him call home because, yes, we do have a dress code and I wasn't quite sure how to handle this. His grandma designed the shirt. I told him that I wanted to honor her, so we weren't going to call home, but did ask that in the future, he consider carefully which slogans he was wearing. Nobody else in the class mentioned it. Without being asked, the boy put his hoodie on. I thought that was respectful.

A sixth grader stopped by to deliver the student council's Valentine Grams ($.25 each)! He belonged to me last year and waltzed in asking, "Do you want these on your desk?" I nodded and then he came toward me, slipping his right hand into his pocket to bring forth a valentine telling me he missed me. Way to melt my heart! I love it when the sixth graders still remember me for Valentines!

A few kids also remembered K for Valentine's. It was great to be able to take treats home to him and prove to him the kids were thinking of him as well! How darling!

We have never been out to dinner on Valentine's Day because we hate crowds and waiting and fussiness. K made lasagna, we went snowshoeing in our canyon after school, and then returned home to get that dinner in the oven. He gave me a card and a rose and I gave him a card and a pizza stone. It was the perfect date night for us! It was a fairly warm day and the light is staying longer. Lady T was in her golden sleepy time pajamas and there were contrails everywhere, like a giant blue Etch-a-Sketch with perfectly straight white lines that disappeared without the shaking.

1 comment: