Saturday, January 5, 2013

Ringing in 2013


I love this picture. Trees, shadows, water...simplicity. Beauty. All of that made for a GREAT first day of a new year. But let's recap the evening prior.


We had a fairly usual assortment of "snicker-snackers" for our New Year's Eve Celebration and then K tucked me into bed at 9:00 p.m. I had been up with no naps since 12:35 a.m. that morning! K was watching a DVD and drinking Orange Crush, effectively missing the magical midnight hour by about twenty minutes. Oh well.

So back to our Snowshoeing Celebration. We headed up to Our Canyon for a Glorious Day of Sun and Cold Temperatures. We also ran into Ranger Natalie (we always bump into our ranger friends in the wilderness, all year 'round!). Here's a bit more of the scenery:


Mother Nature had been busy flocking and sculpting:


K stole a couple pictures of me. The one I did know about features my talent for perspiring. Snowshoeing is a WARM activity as long as you keep moving!


I snapped a couple of K...right before we split up. You see, we had meandered together away from the main trail. We came to a steep (STEEEEEP) part of the adventure whereupon I decided to head back to the main trail and return the way we came. K wanted to continue his explorations across the frozen part of a lake and so forth. We each said, "Meet you back at the car! Be careful!" I turned back, immediately fell down the steep part, and laughed my head off. You see, I seldom fall. But when I fall on snowshoes, it never hurts. And so it's a happy surprise. Surprise because you don't expect to fall and happy because it doesn't hurt. I just stayed there on the ground for a moment looking up and all around, smiling. Snowshoeing is the best.


Everything was beautiful, but I especially enjoyed the sounds from the water. Easy on the eyes, easy on the ears. Loved the little snow crystal patterns on the rocks. Love K! So grateful we get to have outings such as this! Happy New Year!

1 comment: