Thursday, November 15, 2012

Chip and Dale

I remember some sort of television cartoon from my childhood...help me out. I believe it was two rodents, possibly squirrels, who were so incredibly polite to each other that it was funny. At least to me. I believe they were forever insisting that the other go first, and they were full of "thank you, after you, and pardon me." I believe their names were Chip and Dale. Does anyone else remember this cartoon?

Mom hasn't been especially well, especially lately. I began getting phone calls from my sibs about ten days ago. There was a doctor appointment in place until the weather became too severe to travel. We all worried, but couldn't change the weather.

A few days ago, at 10:30 p.m., my phone rang and I said aloud, "That's not good." It was a sister telling me she got a phone call from the ambulance crew. Right after that, another sister called telling me she got a phone call from another ambulance crew. And since then, we've all been getting and making a whole lot of phone calls.

Mom has a significant Significant Other named L. He is so amazing, that sometimes we refer to him as Saint L.! Well, St. L started having chest pains and a call went in to 911. The ambulance arrived to load him up and help him out. However, L. wasn't about to leave Mom alone. Mom was so worried about L. that her breathing, which has already been compromised, became worse and the EMT's could see that she also needed help, so they called a second ambulance. That's when the argument ensued. "You go first, I'll wait." "No, I'm fine, you go first." "No, I'll be okay, you need to get going now." Et cetera. Isn't that hilarious? The EMT's settled the score and took L. first since that's what the 911 call was about. The roads were horrible. Horrible. They advised my sisters to stay put, but Eldest went barreling off to the hospital anyway. It only took her three and a half hours to get there.

L's ambulance crew called Baby Sister and so she naturally asked if they had any information on Mom. The only thing the woman could tell Baby Sister was that Mom was being "cantankerous." Yeah, they had to strap her down to keep her from ripping her mask off. That's our mom! L. had a heart attack and they put a stent in. They are both still in the hospital and it looks like L. will be released first, possibly today. Mom has more healing to do.

I just think it's fantastic that two people care enough about each other that even during a medical emergency, they can both sputter niceties such as, "Oh no, after you, I insist!"

1 comment:

  1. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_'n_Dale_Rescue_Rangers

    I find it fitting to the situation and your own life that Chip and Dale were "rescue rangers" ;) Best wishes for a strong recovery for everyone!

    ReplyDelete