Sunday, October 2, 2011

Packets of Light

This weekend is General Conference. It comes around every six months--the first weekend in October and the first weekend in April. It's fabulous. General Conference is a series of meetings (sessions), where the leadership of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints gives sermons (talks). Some church business is conducted such as the sustaining of church officers (and some people get released from their callings as well). Mostly, it's pure teaching and learning. Which is why I take notes. General Conference is almost like Christmas. K and I prepare wonderful food and then we watch and listen and soak up all that we can.

The first general session was yesterday morning and the first speaker was one of my favorites, Elder Richard G. Scott. I've always liked him and I even got to meet him and shake his hand once. For those of you who also watch General Conference, you know that deep, searching, piercing look that penetrates you through the television screen? Same thing in person! Anyway, Elder Scott spoke about the SCRIPTURES and he had a few key phrases I really liked.

He said one of the tools we have to help us face difficult challenges is the scriptures. I know this is true. I don't know where I would be without them. Elder Scott said the scriptures are a record of solutions to problems. Don't you just love that? I do! He even called them "stalwart friends." He talked about the great power that can come from memorizing a scripture and from pondering scriptures. He called the scriptures "PACKETS OF LIGHT." And that's just how I feel because as I read and study, sometimes I come across these little jewels and I thnk, "Oh, that's perfect." Now I'm going to refer to such experiences as a packet of light.

Elder Scott asked, "How do you personally use the scriptures? Do you mark them? Do you use all of them?" Then he went on to talk about and quote favorite things from each of the Standard Works: The Holy Bible (Old Testament and New Testament), Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ), Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price. I especially liked what he had to say about the New Testament because that is what I'm teaching this year in Gospel Doctrine class (Sunday School for the adults). He said the New Testament is "a source of DIAMOND TRUTH."

Packets of Light. Diamond Truth. I love the scriptures and testify they are true!

No comments:

Post a Comment